Friday, June 5, 2009

Six Years

On Sunday my DH and I will celebrate our six year wedding anniversary. Six wonderful years. We coincidentally got married on the same weekend that we met nine years ago. Wow! I can't believe it has been nine years total! Time just flies by, more so the older you get.

In the last nine years we have done so much. We have built a beautiful home, we have grown closer and stronger in our marriage (thanks IF!), we have learned how to balance our own needs with the needs of each other, we have bonded together to become amazing parents to our dear L (if I do say so myself:)), we have been through the ups and downs of owning your own businesses, we have gone on some of the most wonderful vacations and adventures, we have built strong bonds with each others family, and the list could go on.

With all of the things we have done together nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has been more life-changing for us than having L and going through IF. We have learned what our marriage is truly made of and built upon and who our best friend really is. I always knew that DH was my best friend, but I didn't really know what that meant, until we became infertile. When I met DH I never thought that we would have to go through so much in order to have a baby (because we are so special, ya know? ha!) In my wildest nightmares I never thought that I would go the distance and do everything that we have done in order to have another child. And I certainly never thought that DH would have been up to the challenge either. Not because he is not a good man, a good husband, a good dad, a patient person, but just because he is a guy. I mean, let's face it girls, most women have a stonger desire to have children than their husbands do. It doesn't mean that our guy doesn't want children, but the feeling and want for children is generally just different for them.

So as I sit here today, I have tears in my eyes. For how much I absolutely love and adore my husband. I really do. He is the best person who has ever come into my life (well, besides L anyway). He is so so so kind, patient, caring, hard-working, tolerant, loving, funny, energetic, etc. But most of all, he is an AMAZING husband and an even better father.

For our anniversary my DH has done something so completely wonderful. He made reservations at one of our favorite restaurants (http://www.fogodechao.com) and asked my sister to take L overnight for us tomorrow night. While I am so excited that he did this, I asked him ever so gently if we could post-pone our dinner plans for another weekend. Tomorrow I will be at my sisters at 8:00am to help with the garage sale we are doing (raising money to pay for all of our IF treatments, woohoo!). Then we are leaving there to bring L to my girlfriends house for her town parade, then back to the garage sale. After the garage sale we have to take everything out of my sisters garage since it is the last day of the sale. And since I am still on restrictions to not lift >20 pounds, nothing strenuous and no intercourse, well, I just figured that we should wait until we can have some "fun" to celebrate our anniversary and have L spend the night overnight at my sisters house.

I love you, M, with all of my heart!

4 comments:

Jill M. said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Oh gosh, I so know what you mean by never in a million years thinking we would go to the lengths we have to have a child.

Josée Martens said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

I hope you make lots at your sale!

kayjay said...

happy anniversary! it is amazing how close you become with your DH through IF and that is one of the few positive things that has come out of being forced to walk down this road. Congrats to the both of you.

Joy said...

Happy Anniversay! Sounds like you have a keeper.