Sunday, May 31, 2009

Deer Tangle

On our way back from camping today we got into a bit of a tangle with a deer. On the freeway. Going 70 miles per hour. We were cruising right along and all of the sudden DH and I saw the deer running across the grass towards the freeway. We were hauling our fifth wheel camper and another trailer behind it with our golf cart in it. There was no way possible for us to stop with all of that weight.

The deer jumped up onto the passenger side windshield, where I was sitting and L was sitting behind me. As the deer hit the windshield, he hit the side mirror at the same time and tore that completely off. He then smashed along the passenger side of the truck and then flew up and hit the front of our fifth wheel where it hangs over the pick-up bed and then flew around the side of the camper and then landed back down on the interstate.

The truck is pretty banged up (DH just bought this truck in November) and the camper has a big gouge in it from the hoof of the deer. Thankfully we barely felt the impact of the deer hitting. When the state trooper got there L and I were pretty upset. The trooper said it was okay to drive the truck home, but I told DH that I was not driving home in the truck since there was a hole in the windshield and glass shattered all over the place on the passenger side, which is where L I were both sitting. My parents were about a half hour behind us so I said I would wait for them to pick L and I up to drive us home. The trooper offered to follow DH as he drove home while L and I rode in the squad car with him.

When I got into the squad car I thanked the officer for offering to drive us home. I explained that I was just newly pregnant and it took us three years and lots of money to get to this point and that I didn't want to do anything to lose this baby. He replied by saying that he knew what that was like and that he and his wife struggled with IF too and that it took them almost two years to have their youngest child. I was so glad that he "got it". He then asked if I was okay and I told him that I was fine, just shaken up.

Thankfully, DH has hit a couple of deer in t he past. He was able to slow down enough and keep the truck straight on the road instead of swerving, losing control and rolling the truck with the camper and additional trailer attached. When we got home, he came and gave me a big hug and kiss and then unloaded everything from the camper by himself and then vacuumed the house. Awww, how sweet:)

7 comments:

Josée Martens said...

Holy scary!!! I am soo sooooo glad you are safe!

pacman said...

that's a bit freakie... glad you're safe.. Keep up the great work and please stop by my site crane trucks sometime. Keep it up..

Jill M. said...

Yikes!!! So glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Joy said...

I am so glad that you and your family are OK.

kayjay said...

OMG. That sounded awful but I am really glad you're okay. It's nice that the policeman was so accomodating and it's interesting what you find out when you open up about IF to others.

DAVs said...

So so scary. I'm glad everyone is ok. Rest up.

Tiff said...

That is so scary! I'm SO glad everyone is okay!!!!

Tiff