Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Embryo Transfer- PUPO with Triplets

First of all, thank you so much to my readers for being so concerned about me after my previous posts. I was in a really bad place on Sunday. Immediately after finding out the news of our 3dt I started dusting and vacuuming my house, doing laundry, went to the grocery store. All the while, DH kept telling me to calm down. I just thought I would have Monday and Tuesday to get all of the stuff done around the house. At one point my DH in trying to make light of the situation said to me, "Honey, I am sure you feel so much better knowing that the house is vacuumed while you are laying in bed for two days." Of course he was making a joke and it did make me laugh.

Thanks also to Sue! I read your comment on my blog just before I went out the door to my ET and it was so true!!

Okay so on to the good stuff!

I am officially pregnant until proven otherwise with triplets. I have my much awaited embryo report...here it is:

Eggs Retrieved: 25
Mature: 20
Fertilized: 13
Still Growing on Day 3: 13
Transferred: 3
Lab is Still Watching for Freeze: 10

I am a bit concerned that I only had 13 embryos fertilize. I think this is the lowest fertilization rate we have ever had. We transferred an 8 cell, grade 1.5 compacting, 8 cell grade 1.2 and 8 cell, grade 1.5. (grade 1 being the best, 5 being the worst). All of the embryos had little or no fragmentation. The RE and the embryologist said that "they are really good embryos". Unfortunately I have heard this four other times so it doesn't really mean much to me.

I arrived at the clinic at 8:30 to have my pre-transfer acupuncture. It was just what I needed to relax and be prepared for my transfer. At 9:30 the nurse came back to do my OHSS check and then I had my blood drawn to check my hemoglobin. After my blood draw I was taken back for my transfer preparation. The embryologist came in to talk to us about our embryos. She explained that they decided to do a 3dt because my embryos did not meet the criteria for a 5dt (she didn't explain the criteria). She also explained that they really wait for the embryos to say "pick me" and that the three embryos that were chosen were really good quality and superior to the other remaining 10 embryos. They felt that it was better to put these three back in as a 3dt because they believe that the embryos do better inside of your uterus rather than in the lab. We spent about 10 minutes talking about my embryos and she showed me the information on my 10 remaining embryos. They range from 4 cells to 9 cells with varied fragmentation and grade (grade 2 is the worst grade). She hopes that some of them make it to freeze, but she couldn't say for sure.

After we talked to the embryologist, the RE came in. I was really nervous about having this RE do my transfer, but was pleasantly surprised. She came in and greeted me and introduced herself to DH. She placed the speculum ever-so-gently and then had the nurse adjust the u/s for several minutes to get a good picture of my lining. My ovaries are still so big that it took them awhile to get a good picture. My lining was measuring at 11.5. The RE said that this is perfect- not too thick and not too thin. The embryologist came in with the catheter and helped the RE transfer my embabies. She told DH and I that everything looked really good and that it was a perfect transfer.

After I left the transfer room I went back for a post-transfer acupuncture treatment. I barely remember having the needles inserted because the val.ium made me so sleepy. My DH stayed in the room with me for my acupuncture and when the treatment was over I woke up and DH told me that I was snoring so loud, LOL! That val.ium really conks me out!!:)

When we got home DH stayed with me for a while as I slept off the val.ium and as I was sleeping he came in to tell me he had to leave and do a couple of things for work and had to pick up L from daycare and that he had left me some cheez-its. When I woke up I started laughing hysterically. I thought it was so funny that he left me cheez-its. Of all things he could have left for me, he chose cheez-its. Too funny! I called him when I woke up and he came home and made me lunch, after, of course, I had eaten the cheez-its:)

I am now on bedrest until tomorrow morning. DH came home to make me lunch today and while he was here he carried a recliner into our home office and adjusted the monitor so that I could do some computer stuff.

For fun, what you ate on the day you did your transfer? Or what funny or fun things did you do on bedrest?

8 comments:

Sue said...

Yay! I was so hoping that was the case!!! I totally understand - cried my eyes out the day they said I had a 3dt and to come in immediately. Cried through the bloodtests, and I never cry in public, I was a MESS! And then they said that they chose 3 day just because there was such a distinction between those 3 and the others, lol. yay! so happy! take it easy and enjoy bedrest.

I didn't do too much fun stuff on bedrest. With my fall cycle, I got room service A LOT and read a lot of books (those silly twilight series books). I had my little laptop on the bed with me. It was fun. Enjoy being waited on!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kris...you can't imagine how thrilled I was to see your post. I have to admit, I've been stalking your blog...checking it non-stop! I know you understand my crazy behavior, hence why I'm admitting this! ;)

Ok...YEAH on all the good news regarding your precious embryos! So happy to hear the transfer went very well!! Now its rest time dear...take it easy and enjoy it!

Sheri

Tiff said...

I am praying so hard for you and those little embabies! When I was on bedrest, one of my friends said something to me that really hit home. Those are your babies and you have to send them constant love, no matter how long you have them for. I have a very good feeling that you will be celebrating your BFP very shortly! I ate a TON of pineapple and drank a ton of pineapple juice while on bedrest.

Hang in there and know you have a lot of prayers coming your way!

Tiff

kayjay said...

Oh Kris! This is the best news today! I'm so glad that things went well during ET and what a pleasant surprise you had at the clinic. I hope that you will have more to freeze but will keep your triplets in my thoughts :).

Fun things I did while on bedrest was that I watched a bunch of old Friends episodes. I was prescribing to the "Laugher is the Best Medicine" theory and wanted to keep the mood light and cheerful. No crime scene dramas for me! I also watched some chick flicks that I wouldn't subject my DH to when I was by myself resting and I also read some funny books.

I can't remember what I ate while on bedrest but I'm sure it involved lots of goodies and treats of the sugar/dairy/gluten free kind!

GL!!!!

Jill M. said...

Oh, I am soooo happy for you! I know it was terrifying, but I'm glad it all worked out. Yep, PUPO with triplets!!! Can't wait for your BFP announcement!

Joy said...

It sounds like things went really well and I am so happy to hear that you are upbeat once again!

Snuggle in little ones, you have a good mommy taking excellent care of you.

Retro Girl said...

Congrats! I love cheez-its :-). All I remember is that I pigged out during the days while I was on bed rest after transfer...definitely emotional eating! Thinking sticky thoughts for you...

DAVs said...

I'm so sorry I'm just now catching up on everything!
I'm also so excited about your PUPO status! Those embryos sound absolutely beautiful.

As far as funny things...nothing really funny comes to mind, except me snoring slack-jawed on the couch sleeping off those lovely Valiums!