Monday, December 29, 2008

Up in the Air

Today I finally had the chance to call my local clinic to ask about having the karotyping done on me. We are still waiting on M's results, but Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM recommended that we have mine done also in the event that M and I both have a balanced translocation. The nurse explained that my local RE wanted to find out the results from M's karotype before he ordered mine. She explained that the karotyping is a little spendy and that he doesn't like to have us pay for them if they don't need to be done. I understand and appreciate that he is trying to be conservative with our money and doesn't want us to spend more than we have to. However, what good does the test do if it is only done on one of us? Even though he feels that it is highly unlikely that we both have a balanced translocation, why not get the test done on me too just to make sure- especially if I am willing to pay for it? The nurse explained that my doc was going to be on vacation until 1/12, so I could talk to him about it then. In the meantime, M's results are supposed to come in so we will know if he has a balanced translocation soon. If his result comes back and does not show that he has a balanced translocation, then the nurse will speed up the testing for me. I know, it is all so confusing.

Meanwhile, I have been searching our mailbox everyday for my packet from CCRM. I know with the holidays that the mail might be slower, but the packet was supposed to be mailed out last Tuesday. How long does it take for the mail to get from Colorado to Minnesota?

This afternoon I had to bring L to the allergist because he has been having coughing fits in the middle of the night for the past several nights, which is highly unusual for him. He is only allergic to cats and some dogs so we have a nebulizer for him and have been using it 1-2 times each night, in the middle of the night. Once we turn it on, he is breathing better and is more calm within 2 minutes. The allergist thought that it could be mild asthma or a cold. I don't at all believe that it is a cold because he hasn't had any cold symptoms. I have also noticed in the last couple of weeks that he begins coughing when he is playing really hard or when he goes out in the cold weather. My dear husband has the same pet allergy and also had activity induced asthma as a child. The allergist gave me a prescription for Pulmicort to be administered through his nebulizer to give to L before bed each night for the next week. Then take him off of it and see how he does. Any way you look at it, it is scary to see your 4 year old coughing to get air into his lungs in the middle of the night.

Overall, it has been a day of frustration. I feel like everything IF related is up in the air. I am hoping that we get M's results back soon and that I get my packet from CCRM tomorrow. And, most importantly, I hope that this new medicine helps my dear son breathe better.


No comments: